Thursday, April 29, 2010

More general updates

 Sorry for the lack of anything exciting lately! There's quite literally been nothing significant. However, I'll be heading to Shenzhen and Hong Kong this weekend so it goes without saying that I'll have some pretty good stuff to be posting next week!

Here are some general things from the last couple weeks

Teaching the kids some kind of pop culture dance thing - this kind of reminds me when I was a primary school student and they taught us the Macarena....

"Lake Guangzhou", or "What happens when the drainage system (or lack thereof) fails"

Awesome waterfall in the courtyard of the Garden Hotel. It turns out that since we were not guests of the hotel, we weren't actually allowed to be there. Whoops. The key was to not directly answer the security guard's question of "Are you guests of the hotel?"

The best grand opening sale of any restaurant anywhere on the planet: if you bring 2 or more people, you get unlimited beers for your table for 10 yuan, or roughly $1.40 USD. Of course, we didn't actually know this until the next day, but it explained the eagerness of the locals to get into drinking contests with us.

This one old lady was incredibly impressive, and she embarrassed Josh no less than 3 times; it was hilarious.

 The new guy getting acquainted with some locals.

This is on the 4th floor of the local mall seen here:


3 weeks ago, there was no movie theater there. In these pictures, I was guessing it had about 1.5 weeks left, especially since Iron Man 2 will be released in mainland China on May 7th.


Here's the same location, 2 days later:


I'll be sure to go some time and see what it's like - but for right now just know that it's a lot smaller yet more luxurious than the theaters back in the States.

 Squatty potty in one of the teachers' restrooms at one of my schools....

I just thought this advertisement was a bit odd: I'm no doctor but I don't think the color of food affects exactly what it does to help your body. I could be wrong, though. If anything, it's just nice to see a PSA for healthy eating!

Speaking of which....

More on McDonalds:

*cough*
 You can substitute your fries for corn for no additional charge.

Spicy Chicken Sandwich - my favorite. Note how it's actual meat instead of some sort of chicken/sponge hybrid.

And, last but not least:

Seen on the papers on the trays at McDonalds. I'm assuming the guy is a manager, which makes this, by far, one of the funniest things I have seen here. Could you imagine if you were one of the workers and you saw your boss drawn like that?

-T

No comments:

Post a Comment